So, my mom taught us girls to be thrifty...not to a fault where we'd snatch up a boatload of crap just because it was cheap, but to always look for quality at a good price.
She also taught us that EVERYTHING would one day be on sale. Everything.
In elementary school I was donned from head to toe in Polo, Izod, and Levi's...all usually found at Marshall's or TJMaxx, all at discounted prices. And my Gap and Guess jeans of the 80's were found on sale, too. My K-Swiss and VANS could also be found on sale, people! (So EIGHTIES!)
I will confess something, however, and that is:
I never went to Thrift Stores in Junior High or High School.
I was conceited and thought I was too good for such a thing.
Let me tell you a new confession:
With an income level of FIFTY BUCKS A WEEK in college, I discovered Thrift Stores.
I've been a faithful shopper ever since.
And, I've even exposed my daughter to Thrifts, along with TJMaxx, of course.
I'm in that group of girls that loves to say, "This? Oh, I got if for a dollar!" Or something like that, anyway...
So, this post has no other purpose than to share with you my "Show and Tell" from my Goodwill adventure today with Ryan. Items 5, 6 and 7 are from a resale shop where everything was 50% off today. Here goes:
- 1 Gap sweater dress for Em, $1.99
- 1 Super cute brand new w/tags girly polo style shirt for Em, $1.99
- 1 Brand NWT Nike Fit Dry shirt to train for Avon Walk, $1.75 (this was half off...)
- 1 Brand NWT Champion Double Dry shirt to train for walk, $1.75 (1/2 off, too...)
- 1 Kelly Green MIMI & COCO long sleeved yoga shirt, $7.00 (resale)
- 1 Black sweater White House/Black Market, $7.00 (resale)
- 6 Chocolate silk and bead mini lampshades for kitchen chandelier, $7.00 for set (resale)
- 1 Pair Banana Republic jeans, "Urban Flared Leg," for me, $5.99
- 1 Baby Gap dress shirt for Ryan, $1.99
- 1 Plaid dress shirt for Ryan, $1.49
- 1 Short Sleeved dress shirt for Ryan, $1.49
- 1 Carter's zip sweatshirt for Ry, $1.49
- 1 Cashmere scarf, made in Scotland, NWT, $4.99
- 1 Pair CL by Chinese Laundry brown leather flats, barely worn, $5.99
- 1 Pair cheapo Zoe&Zac eggplant little flats with bow, $2.50 (1/2 off sale...)
- 1 Pair Nine West fabulous stilettos for Spring, $2.50 (1/2 price)
- 1 Pair Black JOAN&DAVID GORGEOUS pumps, BARELY WORN, $19.99
Yes, item 17 was a bit of a splurge, but, if you price compare, these babies retail at $200 which I wouldn't spend on shoes, so, there you go.
Random post, I know. But maybe you'll be inspired to "Recycle" this year by donating your stuff to your local charities and heading into your nearest Thrift for a little looksee. You never know what treasures you might find! Thrifting ROCKS!