Monday, November 19, 2007

"Everybody wants to go to Heaven...

...but nobody wants to die."

These are the words of a David Crowder song. I believe they are the sentiments of a LOT of people here on earth. I find it interesting that most, if not all people, if asked the question whether they will go to Heaven or Hell when they die, state emphatically, "Heaven". The answer would be followed with something like, "I don't believe God sends 'good' or 'nice' people to Hell" or "I don't believe God would send the people He created to Hell". If the same people were asked if they believe in God the answers would be split between a hardy 'Yes!' and a definite 'No!'. Heaven is God's home. It is His dwelling place. Why on earth would people who do not believe in Him want to spend eternity at His house? It would be like someone who hates your guts or could give a rip about you moving into your spare bedroom until they die. Awkward.

One day you hear the doorbell. You open the door, say hello and standing there is a stranger. They reply 'hello' as if you should know who they are. You figure they are there to sell you something. Then you see they have suitcases, baggage. You are perplexed as to why they are at your door. The look on their face shows their intention of walking through your front door with their bags, and never leaving. You close the door slightly and say, "I'm sorry but I think you have the wrong address." Again, awkward! It's not that you don't like meeting new people...

Jesus said, "Whoever finds his life will lose it and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

He also said, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Another entry that sheds light on this is I Corinthians 15.

I can't wait to get to Heaven, whether I die first or I'm old and gray and have to wait it out, but in the mean time, I'm enjoying my relationship with God, believing in Him and getting to know Him quite intimately so that when I do die, it won't be like knocking on a stranger's front door...

I am not only thankful on the 4th Thursday of every November, but I am thankful daily that when I get to God's front door, I won't be toting even one carry on because of what Jesus did for me, AND, God's going to recognize me AND know my name. I am not boasting...of this I am sure.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:45 AM

    Thank God for HIS promise of a lifetime. Death used to be a fearful tragic thing to me - I was afraid and one of those that didn't want to die. It no longer scares me. That revelation came several years ago after my aunt passed away after a courageous battle with brain cancer.

    I just caught up with your other posts - you, Jason, Em and sweet Noah are in our thoughts everyday! I am thankful for the ray of light you all are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great book that I have recently started reading entitled Heaven by Randy Alcorn goes into great detail about what you are talking about in your post. He says that most people think that Heaven is the default destination when we die, when in reality, hell is. The gate to heaven is narrow and only few will enter. WOW!! Big shocker I bet to many people. I guess it is just easier to live life with the thought that we are all going to get in unless we do something really bad!!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Thanks for all of your great posts. I am always so intrigued by what you have to say and the way God speaks through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:08 AM

    I just happened to "stumble" on your blog. Can I just tell you, that I have been reading for 2&1/2 hours bawling my eyes out. God knew I needed this.
    I am a stay at home mom of 5 (ages 7yrs-9months) and have been feeling very depressed and useless, stressed, walked all over etc... I often have a short fuse with my kids even though they are very well behaved. I had complications with all of my pregnancies and 2 of my babies were preemies. It is so easy to forget what a huge blessing and gift every day with them is.
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU ,THANK YOU, A MILLION times over for sharing your life and heart struggles. Your faith in God is amazing and inspiring. Your pictures of packing up Noah's nursery made me sob. Your story has inspired me to be a better mom, wife and christian. I really can not express how grateful I am for this sharing.... My children will want to thank you too when they realize what a real mom is, and that you are my encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post--I love your analogy of the stranger on your doorstep.

    In the spirit of thankfulness...I'm thankful that you continue to post such inspiring words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:38 AM

    I was silenced by your words today Adrienne...I don't think I've ever looked at life as a time to enjoy my relationship with God...life is just something you put up with, trudge through, and try to make the best of...Sounds like a lot of fun doesn't it!?!

    I'm thankful for you and your desire to share your relationship with God with me...
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Jody C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredibly impactful, meaningful and relevant post. Awesome.
    On one of the the "Family Life" radio broadcasts this week, the speaker said that for Christians this life is as bad as it gets. For non-believers, this life is as good as it gets. Now that gets you thinking!
    I am so grateful that we have a door which will not only be opened when we knock on it, but that we will be embraced as a dearly loved child.
    Thank you for such a great post. We need to spread this message far and wide. Can you imagine being one of those who is turned away at the door? Thank God we won't encounter that, but my heart breaks for those who will. Keep sharing...
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thank God for His grace and mercy every single day. It's humbling to have eyes open to and accept the Truth...but amazing to live in light of that free gift- that eternal blessing to come! Heaven tugs at my heart several times a day. Somedays I am ready to close my eyes and just be there...forever! I understand what your heart feels too. But in the meantime, I am growing in my faith and understanding of God's patience and mercy. And with that comes peace and a life rich with blessing and purpose and perspective. I wouldn't trade it for anything...except Heaven! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Adrienne. I thought of you and your life a year ago. All the changes, all the ups and downs. I pray for you and thank God that you continue to draw closer to Him and in turn can share from the overflow of your heart. The world needs more insights...more Truths, as you share so openly and to the point here. I love it. May you be blessed as you continue to yield your life to His.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Adrienne, Jason & Emily,

    Happy Thanksgiving, a day late to you. You all have been on my mind a lot in the last several days.

    Thank you for your post...very thought provoking. I needed that.

    I'm praying for you guys,
    Love,
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was searching the name "Noah" on youtube because my 6 month old is named Noah and I wanted to see what came up. Your video tribute to your son was so incredibly moving and made me cry. I don't know what else to say, really. What can you say to someone who has sustained such an immense loss? I hope there comes a time when you only remember the sweet memories, without the pain.

    ReplyDelete