Sunday, August 13, 2006

Parenting from the Hospital

July 11th, Em's first gum chewing extravaganza...


So, I don't know how to do an entry w/o a picture, so will have to ask Jason that question in the a.m., but chose this one so you could all see how Big Sis is doing...So, I made up a rule two years ago that our kids couldn't chew gum until their 4th birthday. Em totally bought it, except when her younger friends would chew it in front of her. Anyway, for her 4th birthday party, it was a gum extravaganza! This is a pic of her chewing before breakfast. We figured the faster she goes through it, the sooner it will be gone! She's very responsible with her gum, you should know...she saves her wrapper and throws it away in the trash can when it gets old. Also, she knows if she plays with it, it goes in the trash. For those of you with little ones, you are more than welcome to adopt our 4th birthday rule (or 5th or 6th, haha).

Anyway, tonight is my first night alone at the hospital since the 2nd when Noah was admitted. I have peace. My dear friend who was an ICU nurse before she had two girls was here with me for a while tonight and talked me through the monitors a little more thoroughly, which was helpful. She also formed a great connection with Noah's nurse, and asked her to watch out for me, too.

Yesterday and last night were my hardest so far...not for any particular reason. I was really stressed out about my milk production because I've been consistently behind Noah's demand so they are supplementing a special formula. It occurred to me today, though, that he only gains weight when he's on formula, so I talked to the nurse and we'll add a little of my milk to his formula, kind of like my milk is his vitamin for antibodies and the formula is the food. My stress levels dropped big time just making this decision, and regardless of everyone's opinions and 2 cents, he is gaining and maintaining on it, so we'll stick with this for a while.

Today it also helped that I got off "campus" (lingo from my old job). I took Emily to a birthday party for her little friend around the block. She had a blast making crafts, but especially because it was a princess party and she got to wear her Cinderella dress and shoes. Then she and I went home by ourselves to read books and take a nap. It was good to be together without any distractions or the worry of hospital life.

Princess Emily, Birthday Princess Annie, and Big Sister Princess Kate (They sound like a batch of British ladies!)

Well, I'm going to bed now. Noah is sleeping soundly. I asked my friend, Becky, the former ICU nurse to please tell me what verbige she would use to describe Noah's condition so you could all have a clear picture and she said he is in critical but stable condition, meaning, he is doing well, but definitely needs to be in the ICU for breathing purposes.

In the meantime, we are still just waiting and waiting and waiting for test results.

Thanks for all of your prayers and encouragement. God is the One supplying rest and sweet comfort.

1 comment:

  1. It was so good to see you all on Saturday. Your hospital room is tangibly filled with hope and faith. I could feel the Lord's presence in your room. He is definitely with you all! You and Noah and Emily are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if you need anything. Love- Rod and Michelle

    ReplyDelete